A critical essay (review) analyzes, summarizes, and provides comments on the fiction or scientific work. A critical essay can be an informally written by hand document or edited work for publication. In any case, the ability to write a meaningful essay will improve your critical thinking as a writer and reader.
The first method is reading.
- Buy a copy of the work in the bookstore or take it from the library. Make sure that the job does not contain other annotations. To achieve the best result, buy or ask for a copy of the paper where you can directly make notes.
- Develop your own system of making annotations. For example, you can highlight the thesis statement, circle the metaphors or make notes about the characters and the plot development in the margins.
- Review the work and create the annotation draft. Skimming is necessary to create a first impression and understanding of the plot development. The abstract will help you get back to the original version after you start writing critique essay.
- Divide the book into smaller sections. Reading for writing a critical essay should be focused, so do not read many things at once.
- Write questions in the margins. If you write a critique essay, questions will help you shed light on the presence of an additional storyline or the climax of the work.
- Read the document one more time. During the second reading, check the critique for grammatical, spelling, and content.
- Add positive review. If the plot, characters or arguments are organized well, underline it or mark it in the margin.
The 2nd method is a scientific paper critique.
- SCIENTIFIC PAPER CRITIQUE
- Start writing a critique essay in a Word Document. If you were asked to make a critical analysis of a scientific work, as a rule, you need to pay attention to the scientific degree of its author and the details of the essay.
- Draw conclusions in the first paragraph of your essay. Specify the name of the work, the author and the subject matter. You can include the original publication date or changes that were made to the book, and which should be noted.
- Summarize the paper. Point out what conveys the thesis statement of the author. Highlight the arguments and purpose of the article.
- Review the main part of the paper. All in all, you must write a minimum of three main paragraphs and include the following:
- Describe the role of the author in the text. Show your attitude to the author and decide whether he provides strong arguments or not. For example, an author can suddenly change the topic and start talking about issues, which are above his paygrade.
- Evaluate the presence of the arguments. Do not be afraid to make an analysis in several paragraphs, if the author uses different types of argumentation or scientific research.
- Write about the author’s argument. Answer the following question: Does the argument correspond the logic of the work? Decide whether the author was achieved his goal.
- If an article or book inspired you, point out strong counterarguments. Work out in detail new possible methods of research.
- Complete your scientific paper critique with a general impression of the work. Critical review should be based on research and reading. You should express your agreement /disagreement with the author and confirm your opinion. Try to avoid too emotional conclusions.
The third method is a fiction critique.
- FICTION CRITIQUE
- Choose an author for your literary essay critique;
- Start your essay critique with a description of the author, his biography;
- Define the significance of the fiction;
- If you write a critique essay, start with positive feedback;
- Then, provide a summary of the whole paper;
- Analyze the main elements of the literary work, such as the plot, location, the protagonist and the antagonist from your point of view.
- Make a conclusion.
We hope that these advices will help you with any type of critique essay. You can also request a free essay critique at http://essay-review.org.