Do you know how to start writing your essay? College essays require personal approach and perfect writing skills. College essays often contain typical stories and clichés, which will be discussed below. You will definitely hear: “Tell us about your personal qualities, talents, achievements or experience that you consider the most significant.” The members of the Admission Committee always ask this question when students are entering the University. They are forced to read thousands of essays that are almost the same.
So, how do you make your answer noticeable in the ocean of the same stories? It all starts with the selection of an appropriate topic, which will help you describe your experience in a capacious and sincere way, and demonstrate the ability to write perfectly.
Our free college paper review service collected 6 tips to make your essay outstanding.
6 Tips to Craft Your Best College Essay
- Think carefully about what you are going to write. Ask yourself: which question should I answer in this paragraph? What is the best way to answer this question? What is the most important part of my answer? What will be my topic sentence and my thesis statement? What facts or arguments can I provide an example to support my topic sentences / my thesis? How do I make this paragraph/sentence interesting? Do I need more information on this topic and where can I find it?
- First of all, create a draft: write down all the answers to the mentioned questions in your notebook. The answer should be brief and contain the basic idea of what you are going to write in your paper. It will not take too much time, but it helps to outline the whole essay and its structure.
- Find and write down some facts and arguments that are related to the topic of your essay. If you do not waste your time and do the same job twice, make sure that you are looking for specific facts that will help you to support your thesis.
- Write down your own ideas on the topic of your college essay. Ask yourself, what else can you add or what would be interesting to the reader? Why is this topic important?
- Your answer to a thesis question should contain the main idea. Define the most important arguments for yourself and formulate the main idea that you will support throughout the essay.
- Write down your arguments and facts in such a sequence that they will logically reveal your main idea. When you have already decided on the basic idea of the text, your main task is to reveal it to the reader. Look at the facts that you found, and compare it to your own ideas about the topic. Choose only those that support the main idea of the paper at its best
However, to select the necessary facts and own ideas is just half the story. The next, no less important step is the coherent and logical way of narration.
We hope that these tips will help you with college essay writing routine. You can use these steps as a guide for writing your paper.